Common Conversation Killers
Unless you really, really want to be insensitive or offensive, avoid repeated use of the following words ...
1. Oh, really ~ putting “Oh” in front of “Really” comes across as argumentative ~ use if you want to disenfranchise yourself.
2. Awesome / Cool / Great / Super ~ these simple words terminate a conversation ~ if you want to stifle dialogue, use any of them.
3. Yes, I ~ precedes interruption and says you're not really listening ~ you'll appear self-centered.
4. Ummm ~ transmits you are about to make something up ~ use if you want to be thought of as lacking integrity.
5. Actually ~ is patronising ~ replace it with “What I meant to say is ...”.
6. Yes but ~ implies the other person is ignorant ~ that you know more than they.
How did you do?
Complicated Is Easy! Simple Is Hard!