Don't Confuse Me With The Facts!
The eighteenth-century clergyman and philosopher William Paley (1743-1805) said, “There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance ~ that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
For more than 3-decades, perpetual questions are raised as I work with the more discerning Recruiters, Managers, Trainers and Salespeople:
- The Recruitment Agent says, "Our computers are full of great CVs, so why don't more clients take on more of the candidates we put forward?"
- The Team Manager says, "My team is incentivised very well indeed, so why don't they work more persistently without supervision?"
- The Trainer says, "To keep ahead of the competition, we are always improving our products and services, so why doesn't the salesforce study them outside of the classroom?"
- The Salesperson says, "I know my company's products and services backwards, so why doesn't everyone buy from me?"
The answer to these questions is the same ~ MOTIVATING-VALUES or, WHY People Do What They Do!
Everyone will only strive for ...
- ... something that matters to them, right now!
- ... something they are passionate about longer-term!
- ... something they have a firmness of purpose to pursue ~ in spite of difficulty!
This is true of candidates seeking a suitable organisation.
It is true of subordinates wanting a caring manager.
It is true of practitioners searching for further light and knowledge.
And, it is true of customers who want to buy, right now!
After researching US corporations, Simon Sinek concluded the most progressive ones, Start With Why and, I wholeheartedly agree!
Discovering & Accommodating someone's reasons for doing something requires learning to ask the right questions in a way that is acceptable to the listener and is THE difference between getting by, and doing GREAT!
- It's the difference between placing some candidates and most candidates!
- It's the difference between fluctuating productivity and growing productivity!
- It's the difference between having to go to yet another training session and wanting to learn from home!
- It's the difference between a selling ratio of 1:3 and better than 2:3!
To begin to learn how to ask the right questions in the right way, email firstname.lastname@example.org NOW!
Complicated Is Easy! Simple Is Hard!