Part 1 - Your Private Victory
Last week you reviewed where you are right now, in your own 1,000-months of mortality. This week we commence a review of what you want for the remainder of your life.
Possibility Thinking (PT)
One definition of PT is the willingness to see possibilities everywhere rather than limitations.
PT is about desire, belief, and expectation; in a word, faith. It’s about reflecting on who you truly are, what you have done with your life so far, and what you want to do with the remainder of it.
To begin, and irrespective of age, honestly answer the following question, “If I had my time over again, would I choose to do the same things with my life?” If you answer: “Not Really”, read on …
Perhaps more than at any other time in history, people are needed who are willing to engage with and inspire others to become the best they can become. And, during that process, become the best you can be, too.
Problems vs Solutions
Ask yourself, how many times do you typically return to the same problem? Once, twice, five, or more times? Revisiting the same problem over and over displays one of two things: either you did not fully comprehend the real nature of the problem the first time, or, you are using these revisits in the hope the problem will miraculously go away by itself.
Capacity To Act
It may take a little time to adjust, but everyone truly has the capacity to focus on possibilities within any and every problem; to quickly move past was isn’t working. You too can learn to discover and agree a problem, only once, and donate your entire personal contribution to discover and agree all possible solutions to resolve it. Then, choose the best solution for that moment in your life.
Private Victory & Public Victory
Over this week and next, we shall explore 6-questions, plus one bonus point. Today, you will assess your Private Victory meaning are you truly in control of what you do? Next week, we shall look at your Public Victory meaning are you contributing to everyone’s success, not just seeking your own?
NB: Until you win your Private Victory, you can never contribute to Public Victory!
On a scale of 1=rarely; 2=occasionally; 3=mostly; 4=always, rate yourself against the following 3-questions:
1) How Proactive Am I? meaning do you anticipate each situation (beneficial or consequential) and take regular, planned, and appropriate action to improve its outcome rather than merely waiting for something to happen
2) Do I Begin with the End In Mind? meaning do you start every day, task, or project with a clear vision of your desired outcome ~ physically, intellectually, spiritually, & emotionally ~ then continue to flex your proactive muscles to make things happen
3) Do I Put 1st Thing’s 1st? meaning do you place matters of significance or value (importance) ahead of other things
- >5 - there is much to reflect upon if you truly want the remainder of your 1,000-months to change for the better. Choose twelve self-development books starting with Stephen R. Covey’s The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People – email if you need a list - and read/audio-play one each month over the next year. Review your above answers every quarter
- 6-8 - think deeper about your desires, beliefs, and expectations. Read relevant books and articles
- 9-11 - you are pursuing a beneficial course, but need to strive to get better at what you personally do. Read more relevant books and articles
- 12 - keep doing what you’re doing! You’re probably reading the good stuff anyway
To review this paper or arrange your workshop, email firstname.lastname@example.org
NEXT WEEK, YOUR PUBLIC VICTORY
Complicated IS Easy! Simple IS Hard!